no one was ever blinded by looking at the brighter side of things...

Sunday, January 17, 2010

my...purpose...?

Just thinking about the next 49 weeks seems daunting and yet, not quite as last year. At this time last year we had just decided on a bakery to do our wedding cake, were looking into appartments, jobs, and possibilities in Vancouver, and going through the motions in Olympia.

I'm not usually one to set goals. Really, I don't even like the word. Maybe because the words "goals" and "objectives" take over my life during the school year with keeping track of all my kiddos' goals and objectives that I write, teach, track, re-teach, etc and so on.

I looked up a few synonyms of goal and this is what I got: 1. target; purpose, object, objective, intent, intention. 2. finish

I feel that last year was so involved with CHANGE (ps. I'm not refering to Obama-mania here) in our lives that this year I need to have a PURPOSE to do things, see people, go places, etc. Here is a list of some things, some places, and some people that I'm hoping to make a purposful priority in the upcoming 49 weeks...I feel that writing them down and hopefully telling some stories about them along the way will help hold me accountable, if only to myself.
  • Keep on sewing ~ I have grand plans for a sweatshirt quilt that I've had the pieces cut out for, for about 2 years.
  • Keep on knitting ~ I'd like to complete 3 scarves by Novemeber so I can give them out as Christmas presents. I now know 2 stiches (knit and pearl) and could make some "fancy" scarves. Also, I'm taking a hat knitting class in April/May with my Mom.
  • Become a better photographer ~ As much as I'd love a new camera that might not happen but I would like to learn how to use mine better, about angles, and so on. I think taking a class from my wedding photographer who teaches amateur's like myself how to point and click :)
  • Spend more time with my husband than with my computer...
  • Explore Portland ~ At least once a month Jason and I would like to get out into Portland to find fun places to go or places to eat. Considering I've lived here for 17 years...I don't know much about the city that is across the river.
These are a few of the tanglible things I feel are at the forefront of my thoughts at the moment. There are other things, of course, but these are the ones I feel like sharing on here.

Here is to 2010 and all the possibilities it will bring :)

1 comment:

  1. I have some of the same goals this year! I want to get better at taking pictures and yeah, actually learn what all those buttons do on my camera! Also less time on the computer is another one of my goals. Good luck to us both this year!

    ReplyDelete