no one was ever blinded by looking at the brighter side of things...

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Glass Blowing Class...

Have you ever heard of Groupon?? It seems like most people have. It really is a cool deal. You get deals (usually half of services) do various places. Back in November/December there was one that just jumped out at me!! It was before Christmas and I was looking for something anyways, that Jason and I could do together, as a couple. This particular Groupon was for a glass blowing class at a place in Portland called Elements Glass.

The was as follows: For $30, you get one introductory class to glass blowing with a take-home glass float ($65 value) OR For $30, you get $60 of merchandise from the studio store .

We chose the first option and finally cashed in on it today!! Funny how we bought it has a Christmas present and used it around my birthday. Jason will have to go pick them up tomorrow because they had to be put in the kiln to harden all the way.

I think we will definitely go back. I know they just had a "heart making" session that was $45 for one heart. It could be something that Jason and I could take turns doing for each holiday, because $90 would be a LOT of money...He said they do pumpkins in the fall, Easter eggs soon, tree ornaments for Christmas and I am sure more!!

It was a semi-hands on experience. We did go one at a time and thanks to the time change, we were the only ones in our group :) Apparently the other people forgot...bummer for them! We got to help shape and blow the glass float. We did not blow directly into the metal pole but we had a hook up, a think black tube that was hooked to what the pros used.

Picking our colors. I picked the 3rd one back...orange/yellow/red.


They only left be alone because all I was doing was warming up the pole since I was the first one to participate. Looks like I know what I'm doing though ;-)


Forming the hot glass.


Adding the color.


Solo :) I wanted a dotted pattern so I just had to swish it back and forth...


Blowing the glass.


My float!!


Look at Jason. He looks like a PRO!!


Jason wanted red and white. The guy decided it should be striped...it was a different one than mine and had very different techniques.


Jason's was much more technical. Because of the stripes.


Jason blowing the glass float up.


Sealing the float. Looks brown-ish now. I'm excited to see what it looks like after the kiln.


The sticks being prepped for the next group!

1 comment: