no one was ever blinded by looking at the brighter side of things...

Sunday, September 19, 2010

bree's home for summer!!

One of my other favorite friends Bree has been working at 'home' in Portland this summer. Though she currently resides in the OTHER Washington (DC that is) she convinced her job as part of her rotations to let her come home this summer. Its been great having her back! We've been over to her house for a couple camp fires as well as pool parties and sewing nights!!!

Before Bree came back she requested a cake, to which I was happy to oblige! Though I was certainly surprised to know she wanted a carrot cake but I was happy to try that out. I got the recipe I used from my Mom who'd tried it many times before so I had encouragement that between that cake recipe and Martha Stewart's creme cheese frosting recipe I'd be in good hands.

action icing shot! thanks hunny.


going for a 'tropical' theme. lemon yellow, pink, orange, and sky blue.
i used a cookie cutter to get the flowers 'about right'


Bree and her cake. This is the first cake I've ever made for anybody else :)


All the people at Bree's pool party. The kid in my arms is not mine, it is Bree's niece Maya.


Later that night...

...we went to Edgefield for their concerts on the lawn series. Thing is, we did it McLean style. This entertained getting there late (but really, we got there on time because Kathy mis-read the paper) which SHOCKED the older McLeans because they had to legally park to get into the concert. This Edgefield has an outdoor ampithiteather but the tickets are pretty costly...so in comes the McLean style. You bring your own chairs, blankets, and food. You sit behind the building so you can hear the music and you buy a beer from the place so you don't feel too bad about it :-) I loved McLean style. It was fun to hangout, listen to music and be with people I love!!!

Later that week we had a sewing party. Bree has been wanting to learn to sew for a while but has been wanting my mom to teach her. You see, Kathy and I are like-sewers. We eye everything, don't really measure...etc. My Mom and Bree are like-sewers. They measure everything twice and worryworryworry!

A funny thing happened though. My mom brought over a project for us to work on because she wasn't sure if Kathy and Bree would have anything. The project...a burp cloth. You know...for people who might be having babies some day. The razzing started there! Kathy and Bree had a HAYDAY teasing my Mom about being passive agressive about wanting grandchildren...and she did not deny it. Oh no, she did not admit it either. Not sure which is worse.

So my mom prefaced the project with "you can buy ribbon to customize it to who you are giving it to. You could buy basketballs for a sport fanatic, ABC letters for a teacher OR...AND THIS IS THE FUNNIEST PART...you could buy cupcake ribbon for someone who likes cupcakes". That brought on even MORE razzing!!! Bree decided to first make me an eventual baby shower gift of a burp cloth made out of a cloth diaper with cupcake ribbon sewn on. How thoughtful ;-)



My Mom teaching Bree (with her little helper Maya).


Bree and I sewing. I think our Mom's were very proud of this moment.


B hard at work. Making a reusable bag.


B and her bag. Now all she has to do is add handles. I taught her how to do this and my Mom had taught me. I love family :)

Bree is only home for one more weekend so hopefully I get to see her again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment