no one was ever blinded by looking at the brighter side of things...

Friday, February 25, 2011

an afternoon is Astoria, OR...

We've been over to Long Beach 3 or 4 times in the past year and a half and every time we drive through Astoria we say that we should stop there but we're always headed home, on Sunday, with work the next day. Well this weekend we finally decided to stop. The weather was nice, there was no work or school to get back to on Monday, and we were both feeling good!

It wasn't really until we were passing over the bridge and Jason saw all those ships that he decided we should stop, and I was all for it!

Please Pardon the picture quality. This was from the car on the bridge.
And yes, the passenger (Jason) took the picture!

These are the ships that Jason works with. They are his life, our life really. He was really wanting to take some cool pictures of them "for his desktop" and I knew there was one place in Astoria we needed to go! The Astoria Column, which is situated on the highest hill in Astoria and looks out to sea. I really never thought I'd get Jason up there, he hates heights, I guess the lure of a good picture did him in. I'm training him well :)


The ship on the right was one his company is in charge of!

A ship coming into the Columbia River

A look to the South

The Astoria Column

After our almost 200 stair ascent and decent we were hungry and ready for some lunch. We knew we wanted to eat down by the water somewhere but neither of us knew where. I jumped onto YELP and found a place called Baked Alaska right on the water front with great food and a great view!!

my view :)

Jason's view. He could see all the ships. One left while we were there and one got moved by the Pilot Ship. It was all very interesting.

My other view. See the Astoria Column??

PILOT ship. They bring in the Bar Pilot's who drive the ships over the Astoria Sandbar.

I loved these lamps/lanterns!

Next time we have some time when going through Astoria, we are going to stop at the Columbia River Maritime Museum! I know Jason would enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment