no one was ever blinded by looking at the brighter side of things...

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

closet to craft room...

For those you who don't read my other blog (but you should!) - madebyACE - I thought I'd post this over here too! Enjoy.

I have been dreaming about this post for a long, long time! Really since we moved into our house I've been scheming a way to get some space to myself and I had that, until my husband got his new job he needed a space at home to have his computer up full time because the shipping business never sleeps! Well, he unintentionally took over my "craft" room which really was an old desk I used to every-other month make something on.

So this summer I formulated a plan which began with me telling my plan to my husband just enough times for him to realize I was serious while at the same time not being too annoying...I don't know if I was or not but I got what I wanted :)

We have a 3 bedroom house. Our room, the little brown room (someday the nursery) and the green/brown room (currently guest room/Annie's new craft room!!). That really is how we refer to them. The little brown room is currently where the desks are and the green/brown room has the guest been and now my very own space. Someday we will have kids and they will eventually move into that room but really, AT A MINIMUM we have 2+ years until we have little ones that are mobile and require space. I mean, hey - we aren't even pregnant yet. So...

I drew my plan out. I suggested we go to Home Depot and conveniently had the whole thing measured out. We bought the supplies. And Viola - the new craft room was born! PS. My husband did get a new tool out of the whole thing - an air compressed nail gun. Yeah for him!!

Enjoy the pictures!!

Before. Our house did not come with closet doors...

During...We measured a desk I liked the height of to get a good height for this desk. I cannot wait to get a new chair (it is next on my list)!

After. Well, after for now. Much, much more to come!

Our closet had this little nook that I thought would be great for shelves. At one point I had this genius idea to make the shelves roll out by putting the same type of mechanism that a keyboard uses on a desk. But then I soon realized that if I did that then I would not even be able to pull them out because the peg board would be in the way. Good thing I realized that before we installed them!

During.

After.
I My handy husband still might add one more shelf but I"m only 5'3" so I'd  either have to stand on something or store rarely used items up there...we'll see.

:) I need to get more peg board hooks!

I LOVE the frame around the peg board. It makes it look really finished.

My little shelf. Husband made.

:)

I have a few more plans in the works as far as additions go. On the right side in the above picture I am going to hang curtain rods to work as ribbon holders. You'll see soon hopefully! To the left of this work station I hope to someday put a Cricut Machine (hint! hint! Santa Parents) and a little shelf to hold fabric. I want to get a chair and hopefully even recover it, as I've never done that. Also I want to make curtains for the room and install some additional lighting. And probably much more that is just all that is on the to-do list now!

I want to figure out the total cost and supply list to see what this really cost because we bought many of the supplies over a week or two's time...maybe I'll do that tonight. I don't think it will be too bad and I won't include my husband's new tool ;-)

Also, I would like to point out we used the old paint from when we painted our house a year ago! We still had it in the garage and the pluses about that are it matches and it was "free".

And a HUGE thanks to my husband. He is really the one who made this happen. Though I did help measure and hold supplies for him in the garage :)

And lastly, here are a few links to various websites I found when I started really looking into this possibility. Many are much more elaborate that mine but I pulled from most of them somehow. I literally just googled "closet craft rooms" or some variation of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment